Monday, December 7, 2009

What difference can transit make?

Think public transportation isn’t vital to the interests of Central Indiana citizens? Read the following, a heartfelt plea from a writer who goes by the name “Free Spirit”:

I'm about to lose my job because my car broke down and I can't find anyone to carpool from where I live in Castleton to where I work in Anderson. I haven't been to work in 3 weeks. I'm not getting paid. I will soon lose my apartment when I can no longer pay next month’s rent. http://cirtaconnects.blogspot.com/2008/04/cost-to-commute-tell-us-your-story.html#comments

Most of us are so accustomed to our car-bound lives that we can’t imagine what life would be like without an automobile in the driveway, ready to take us where we need to go when we need to go there. And I’m not talking about the convenience of being able to drive to a friend’s or to go to a movie. I’m talking about the daily needs that we meet by simply putting a key in the ignition. Need a gallon of milk? Jump into the car. Need to pick up a prescription? It’s just a short drive. Need to get to work? Just make sure you leave early enough to beat the traffic, right?

Complicating the matter is the fact that Free Spirit’s job isn’t just around the corner, or a few blocks away. It’s in another city, a situation that’s not uncommon in this area or this modern marketplace.

If Free Spirit lived in a number of other American metropolitan areas, this emergency might be little more than an inconvenience. A car breaking down might make you change your habits but not put your job at risk. The distance from Anderson to Castleton – roughly 30 miles – is well within the range of many major metro areas’ regional transit systems.

We're going to do what we can to help Free Spirit make the connection he needs to save his job, his apartment and whatever else hangs in the balance. And, long term, we're going to continue to work to bring a regional transit system to Central Indiana. Because, let’s face it: While a dead battery, flat tire or failed transmission might be a pain in the neck for some of us, for others it’s the difference between getting a paycheck and going hungry.

No comments: